John P. Watts
Previous Professional Experience:
1990 - 2002 NY City Council New York, NY
Chief of Staff for Council Member Julia Harrison
● Key advisor to the Council Member.
● Spokesman for the news media.
● Represented the Council Member at decision-making meetings
with the Borough President, Mayoral Agencies, City Agencies,
community groups and the Community Boards.
● Monitored all new building projects in the district to assure
compliance with the NYC Department of Buildings and the NYC
Department of City Planning's laws and regulations.
● Formulated proposals in support of new legislation for
consideration by various committees of the City Council.
● Composed Proclamations for presentation by the Council Member.
● Persuaded the Computer Services Division of the City Council to
obtain access to CITYNET in the District Office. Our office was the
first Council District Office to use CITYNET via a modem.
● Coordinated meetings with the City Council Land Use Division, the
Department of City Planning and various community organizations
to create and implement zoning changes in Downtown Flushing.
● Assisted several Special Task Forces of the NYC Department of
City Planning to initiate the Waterfront Access Program, the 37th &
39th Avenue Pedestrian Improvement Project and the Historic
Sites Enhancement Program.
● Recommended various historic sites to the NYC Landmarks
Preservation Commission and assisted them through the process
of designating Flushing High School and St. George's Episcopal
Church as NYC Landmarks.
● Initiated Flushing Beautification Day as a community participation
event, to rid the business district of graffiti.
● Worked with the NYC Department of Business Services to explore
the possibilities of forming a Business Improvement District
for Downtown Flushing.
● Organized civic associations, Community On Patrol and local
● Managed an eight-person constituent problem solving team.
1985 - 1990 Scandia Properties Flushing, NY
Real Estate Sales
1983 - 1985 Sherry-Netherland Hotel New York, NY
1978 - 1983 The Plaza Hotel New York, NY
Front Office Supervisor, Cashier, Room Clerk, Mail and
1976 - 1977 The New School For Social Research
Electronic Data Processing
1974 - 1976 Queens Borough Community College
Speech Communication and Theatre Arts
1990 - 2001 Flushing Council On Culture and The Arts
Executive Board Member - Secretary
1989 - 1998 Coalition For a Planned Flushing
Charter Member, Board of Directors
1996 - Present Flushing Local Development Corporation
Founder and President
1986 - Present Committee To Save The RKO Keith's Theatre
Member of the Board of Directors
1997 Flushing Chinese Business Association
Community Service Award
1994 Flushing Chamber of Commerce
Outstanding Citizen Award
1993 North Flushing Neighborhood Association
Outstanding Citizen Award
References provided upon request.